Thursday, March 01, 2007

Trillian Behind USC's Proxy.....Not

For a while I've been trying to get around the proxy server at USC so I can use the Trillian IM client. Originally I thought that the web admins used port blocking as it took me ages to get my pop email client working (not working anymore though 'cause USC have recently upgraded to wireless networking behind a VPN and I can't seem to get POP working with this setup...yet). I've tried and scanned thousands of ports but even with the open ones I can't get Trillian to connect for more that 5-10 seconds.

I've now concluded that USC scans for IM session headers and blocks them. This is why I think that I can connect for up to 10 seconds before being disconnected. I've no idea how to get around a system that scans for session headers locally. I can connect remotely to my home PC and use Trillian that way but that kind of defeats the purpose. If anyone has any idea then feel free to let me know. I'll post the proxy configuration script here too.

USC Proxy Configuration Script -->

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{
if (isPlainHostName(host) ||
dnsDomainIs(host, ".usc.edu.au") ||
dnsDomainIs(host, ".lnq.net.au") ||
dnsDomainIs(host, ".bne099u.server-web.com"))
return "DIRECT";
else
if (isInNet(host, "141.28.216.132","255.255.255.255"))
return "PROXY usclinux2.usc.edu.au:8080";
else
return "PROXY uscproxy1.usc.edu.au:8080";
}

No comments: