Monday, March 05, 2007

India

I was scanning some photos today to add to a forum for a Buddhism subject I'm doing this semester and I stumbled across a couple of pictures I really love. Maybe you won't like them as much as I do but they really sum up the locations that the pictures were taken in.

The first picture is a couple of chai cups that we'd just drained while waiting on the train at Mathura station. The cups are made of clay and are unfired. At the end of every day, or perhaps more than once per day if it is busy, the cups are all smashed into a pile, wet, and molded into new cups again. Such an efficient practice.



The second is of some Mani Stones along the street that runs alongside the Dalai Lama's temple complex in Upper Dharamsala. I like this picture for a number of reasons. To begin with it reminds me of my childhood growing up down the road from a Tibetan Buddhist monastery and seeing similar stones; even making them myself. I also like this picture because it reminds me of the..energy I suppose, of the Tibetan community in Upper Dharamsala. The colours, the brick work, the writing. I also love the wild vines growing over the wall.

No comments: