Sunday, March 04, 2007

My house is an Improvised Farm!!!

I've had so many animals in my house this weekend. I came home on Friday night to a 1.5 - 2.0 meter Diamond Python (that's a snake for you New Zealanders) in my dining room. I removed the snake into my front yard near a tree in the hope that it would find some safety there. Really quite a beautiful snake and Wiki (click here) have a pretty good article on them if you care to find out more, including a pretty gruesome picture too.

On the Saturday morning we all woke up to a pretty bad smell coming from the kitchen. I searched everywhere and couldn't find a thing. I even took apart the oven to see if there was anything dead in there. There wasn't. What I did find though was a cute little gecko (Wiki article) in the kitchen sink. We have quite a few geckos as they eat all the cockroaches (Wiki article) and what the geckos don't get the huntsman spiders do (Wiki article). Other than the geckos we have quite a lot of skinks (Wiki article) who eat all the other insects.

After a little nap I decided to really pull apart the kitchen to find the bad smell. I pulled out the fridge so I could get under the cupboard and that's where the smell was coming from. I found a dead rat. We have quite a few rats and mice here as we live in a country area and there are a lot of farms around me. THIS is where I live. My house is directly above the blue squiggly line.

Well I went outside to my guest house to find some sort of tool that I could reach under my cupboard to get the dead rat out. While looking for the tool I stumbled across a baby bush turkey (Wiki article). Well I found the tool, actually a mop, and went back inside to get the rat out. I removed the rat and put it in the back garden and now, to my delight, the bad smell has gone.

I wonder what animal I'll stumble across before I go to bed?

No comments: