Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Portable Applications for India

As most of you now know I'm off to India this Saturday for a few weeks.

I've been wondering how I'd go accessing computer applications and all my web services while away 'cause I'm in mid term at the moment and still have some assessment and course content to complete. My fears have been allayed today with my discovery of Portable Apps.com, a fantastic site that creates installers for many popular desktop applications so that these apps will run from a USB drive, for example. There is even a Windows start menu lookalike application that provides an organised list of all of your applications and files.

I've now got Thunderbird setup with my few email accounts' details installed and also Firefox with foxmarks installed that syncs all of my bookmarks with my other computers. Other than this I've installed Miranda IM client and set it up with my IM log in details so I should be able to IM chat from any web accessible PC. I've installed many other programs including a media player and the Open Office Suite.

Now I've just got to hope that I won't encounter any firewall issues while in the subcontinent! I needn't worry about slow internet connections as I live in Australia, we have the worst internet of any country I've yet visited. If I can do it online here then I can anywhere!

No comments: