Monday, January 08, 2007

Reasons for Absence

As some of you have noted, I've been absent for a while and I thought I'd just give a short little reason.



Well, first of all I had a few more family, and non-family, members drop in over the Christmas / new-year week and that took a little of my time but the main reason is that my computer died. That's right, died. Well, it didn't die in the sense that one of it's organs failed but it certainly had temporary organ failure and when I managed to wake it back up it was suffering from amnesia. I usually have Fedora running alongside XP but I'd installed the final beta of Windows Vista x64 over the top and as any of you who have tried the beta of vista x64 it's pretty damn impotent.



Well, to make a short story shorter I had a power surge that messed with my registry settings so bad that recovery console couldn't even find the install! I've spent the last......while..... re-installing XP with all the service packs etc. and all my programs again. The worst problem I had was that I didn't update all my bookmarks and email addresses; well I did but they were on the same drive as my XP install.



I've now gotten rid of that pathetic Vista x64 beta and put the latest Fedora release back on.



So those of you who I usually email etc. please contact me so I can get in touch with you again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I will never touch a Microsoft operating system until after the first patch comes out. I'd rather play in traffic, it's safer.