Saturday, May 05, 2007

How Do You Organise Information?

With the amount of information available on the net now browser based bookmarks just don't cut it anymore. Even with the widespread use of broadband services page load times and navigational issues still cause many upsets. For example, every morning I like to check the weather forecast, my calendar, various news sites, my blogs for comments, other's blogs for new posts or replies to comments that I've left, pod cast updates, my university discussion boards and my various email accounts. It is easy to see how all of this could fill up a lot of time.

So how does one manage all of this? For a while now I've been using iGoogle but I was growing tired of the lack of features and customisability that someone like me, a non-programmer, could accomplish. Where I turned was to netvibes. So what do these (free) services offer that can reduce the time for me to finish all the tasks listed above? Let me see if I can describe it for you.

Both sites are relatively similar with both offering customisable home pages with tabs where dynamic content can be stored. For example, on my netvibes page I have ten tabs of sorted information. These tabs are Home, News, Personal Blogs, Friends Blogs, Philosophy Blogs, Religion Blogs, University, Pod Casts, MySpaces and Mail. I think you get the idea as to what content I place under each tab. Let's look at a few of these tabs so you get the idea of how such a service operates.

The News tab contains custom 'modules', little boxes that display dynamic content, in columns. In each 'module' I subscribe to a different news feed, a dynamic process that 'feeds' the news content to my 'modules'. The module then displays the news headlines as links which you can then follow for the entire story. iGoogle and netvibes handle this linking process differently but I'll discuss that more below.

The Personal Blogs tab displays 'modules' just like the other tabs but link to the 'feeds' from my personal blogs. I have this tab configured with two columns, the column on the left has my posts and the column on the right has comments on my posts. The other blog tabs are configured in the same manner. This way I can look at all of the posts and all of the comments on all of the blogs I'm interested in from a single page without having to load all of the individual graphics etc.

The pod cast tab has, you guessed it, 'modules' that subscribe to pod casts. What I like about netvibes over iGoogle with the pod cast subscriptions is that with netvibes I can opt to download or stream the audio/video from the module itself, no funny business.

Lastly the mail tab includes 'modules' that link to all of my email accounts, gmail, yahoo, hotmail, and POP accounts etc. I can see if I have any new emails, who they are from and their subject lines all from one page. A huge time saver.

Now, why have I opted for netvibes over iGoogle? Well, many reasons actually. On the tabs of the netvibes page a little number will display indicating how many unread feeds are present in that tab. For example, if I have 12 unread emails the email tab will have a number 12, the same goes for all the other tabs. Also, netvibes is so much more customisable. There are more themes, more 'module' options, more tab options, a great wizard for creating your own 'modules' and to add 'modules' you don't need to leave your page. iGoogle just can't compete with this.

I mentioned above about links to entire news stories or complete blog entries etc. and this is something that netvibes really have sorted. When the user clicks a link in netvibes you don't leave the page. The entire blog entry or news story etc. appears in a new 'module' in your page. What's more is that an archive of stories/feeds from the blog, news site etc. also appears so you can read other entries without leaving your page. Of course you can navigate to the blog, news site etc. page if you so desire.

There are also many more options that I haven't mentioned but I'd rather you take a look for your self. You'll find netvibes HERE and iGoogle HERE.

No comments: