Tuesday, September 19, 2006

How many dead cows does it take to save a dog?

Yesterday while visiting my local IGA supermarket there was a group of 'animal welfare' people rallying up support for a campaign to stop cruelty to dogs. The group in question are called paws. Now I'm not against animal welfare at all but these guys were raising money by having a sausage sizzle. What I fail to understand is why they see it as okay to mistreat cows, slaughter them, process them, and then capitalise off of their sale and in the same breath see it as not okay to mistreat dogs? I'm sure that those sausages weren't made of dog meat!

On a different note, I'm slipping in votes in this round of the Philosophy Blog War. Please take the couple of seconds to vote for me by clicking here. Much appreciated.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They might have been made from sausage dogs...

Anonymous said...

While I do think it's fairly odd that none of them recognised the hypocrisy in their anti-animal cruelty sausage sizzle I'm still glad someone is out there championing doggy rights. I used to do volunteer work at Sippy Downs animal shelter (which I believe is where Paws originated) and that experience was enough to convince me that someone's gotta do it (even if they're not ethically consistent in their methods).

Anonymous said...

Hey Simon,

Don't you just love irony.

Nice comment anaglyph.

Cheers, Nathan.